Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

building a spec car from a turbo tub?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: building a spec car from a turbo tub?

building a spec car from a turbo tub? 13 years, 2 months ago #9874

i have a turbo that i am parting and i would like to use the body to build a 944spec car. I would be stripping out everything turbo related obviously and using n/a bodywork and motor etc. I am familiar w/ these cars and i race currently w/ an n/a in chumpcar racing - see Dragon Somethin'- but i would like to build a serious spec car also. Someone mentioned i may not be able to use a turbo tub- any validity to this? It is the same besides the serial number from my experience....
Attachments:
"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting."

Follow my blog at danj944spec.wordpress.com/
Last Edit: 13 years, 2 months ago by xsboost90.

Re: building a spec car from a turbo tub? 13 years, 2 months ago #9875

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
The rules are here.....
www.nasaproracing.com/rules/944_spec_rules.pdf

4 Eligible Models
1983-1988 Porsche 944, Normally Aspirated, 2479 cc, eight valve engine
1987-1988 Porsche 924S, 2479 cc, eight valve engine
4.1 Chassis Swaps
A 944 spec may utilize any year chassis in the above eligible models as well as the 1987-1988 944S and 1989 944. No other 944 or 924 type chassis may be used to build up a 944 spec. In all cases body work, engine, transmission, engine electrical and suspension components must conform to the list of eligible models and to the modifications expressly listed in these rules.

There must be some difference besides the motor. Bigger clutch, stronger transaxle, different gear ratios...............
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build

Re: building a spec car from a turbo tub? 13 years, 2 months ago #9880

i agree however- i will be swapping brakes, trans, motor, deleting the rear valance, lower body plastic stuff, front fenders and nose, master cylinder, etc...i would have no advantage whatsoever from any other car w/ an identical chassis besides the vin tag. Is there some higher up that could verify this. This car has been with me for some time and it seems silly i cant use it because at one time it was a turbo.

Re: building a spec car from a turbo tub? 13 years, 2 months ago #9883

XS Boost, where are you from? The Dragon car looks great!

Our rules Guru, Joe Paluch, can chime in here with more with more explanation as to why, but a turbo tub is unfortunately not legal. You need a lot of NA parts, as you listed, to make it happen - yit seems you be best off with a donor N/A car in any case to make that cost affordable with the drivetrain, etc.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: building a spec car from a turbo tub? 13 years, 2 months ago #9884

yeah on rennlist they said the same thing. This sucks. I believe you were talking to one of the Dragon car's drivers Sam about a spec car on here. Wish there was another i could buy and change to my tastes.

Re: building a spec car from a turbo tub? 13 years, 2 months ago #9886

Yes, it looks like Sam & I are going to hammer out a deal this week. There are a few options for a turn-key car.

1) Bennington Motorsports has one for sale (a 924S, I believe)
2) Great Lakes Regional Director Brad Raum has a second car the Bennington Motorsports refreshed for him, that he may be willing to part with.
3. There are several car for sale in the Rocky Mountain Region, and elseware now, but would need to be shipped.

Great time to get on board with the debut of the Great Lakes region in 944 Spec!

Shoot me an email at: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it , and I'll get you hooked up with Brad Raum
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 13 years, 2 months ago by Sterling Doc.
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds