Username Password: Remember me

2018 Rules Thread
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2018 Rules Thread

2018 Rules Thread 6 years, 7 months ago #21842

• dpRacing Dan
  • 944 Spec National Director
Ok boys and girls, its my favorite time of year where we get to all voice our opinions on proposed rules for 2018. I will be very up front and saying I would like the rules to stay as much the same as they are as possible.
I am not interested in changing rules that'll cost large cost increases. I would like to use this to mostly entertain ideas for increasing safety and promote reliability.
If you want something changed, THIS is the time to speak up! Lets do our best to remain civil and be on good behavior. Bashing and ugly comments/attitudes won't be tolerated.

NASA is already on my butt to have these done in a very unrealistic time-line so we won't have this open very long. We have til October 20th to have this all wrapped up!

Ready?

Set?

GO!!!
Last Edit: 6 years, 7 months ago by dpRacing Dan.

Re: 2018 Rules Thread 6 years, 7 months ago #21843

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
Allow cars with metal tank to cut out spare tire well like the plastic tank cars. Simplifies rule set and gives everyone the benefit of easier transmission changes. Clutch work is also easier since you can just slide the whole drive train rearward. It really makes working on the car a whole lot easier. Plus, I can't believe the aero is the least bit a factor at the back of the car at our speeds and performance. Full discloser: I have an early car thats been converted to a plastic tank with the spare tire well cut out. My motivation for this rule change is from a Regional Director stand point tied to enforcement and ease of adding other cars to the class. This has been a hickup in several instances where cars which are otherwise Spec legal, now have to have work done to them because of this rule.

I thought about some sort of standardized decal/graphics package similar to other classes for a while. I think it promotes class unity, integrity, and appearance. What about 944Spec logo banner across the back hatch class at the top, and then driver name along the bottom of the hatch on each side. Open to other thoughts as well based on regional thinking. These two areas seem to be available on most cars, and still allows the front windshield banner for 944Cup purposes. We could also throw in a last name on the passenger side lower of the front windscreen.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60
Last Edit: 6 years, 7 months ago by AgRacer.

Re: 2018 Rules Thread 6 years, 7 months ago #21844

I like the idea of a standardized decal package. Could be a little problematic for people that run their cars in other series though.
NASA SE Grid monkey extrordinaire
'94 Honda Civic RIP
1984 944 work in progress

Re: 2018 Rules Thread 6 years, 7 months ago #21845

Not in favor of a decal package, as I run in other series.
#124, 1987 924S Spec racer
1988 Turbo S

Re: 2018 Rules Thread 6 years, 6 months ago #21852

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
KDJones2000 wrote:
Not in favor of a decal package, as I run in other series.

What other series do you run in?

Just asked the 14 racers at Roebling if they had any rule change ideas last week end and got none so other than the two I submitted, I dont think there are any others from the Southeast.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: 2018 Rules Thread 6 years, 6 months ago #21853

I'll second allowing the spare tire well to be cut out- it doesn't cost anything and allows easier and faster access (and less labor $$$ when paying someone to do the work) when clutch/flywheel/trans service is needed.

I don't have any data to back me up but it is difficult to imagine anything more than a theoretical advantage as far as aero goes for a late vs early tank.

More experienced guys: correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe anyone tested a late tank car w/o a spare tire well and an early tank car with a spare tire well and determined that they were equal in terms of drag.

Disclosure: I have an early car with the spare tire well partially cut out and sheet aluminum replacement to keep the profile. Due to my accountant-level fabrication skills it works great as a scoop to collect every blade of grass and spec of dust when I go off road and deposit it in the cabin

I also like the decal package idea- it would make the cars in the series more easily recognizable and uniform.
NASA Southeast
944-Spec
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds