Username Password: Remember me

2019 Rules Thread
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 2019 Rules Thread

2019 Rules Thread 5 years, 5 months ago #22122

• dpRacing Dan
  • 944 Spec National Director
Ok guys, its that time of year.

I'm hoping we can keep this one short and sweet.

Here's a few things on the docket;

1: Engine sleeving.

2. Rims (allowing aftermarket same-sized and weight as original but all new and non stock looking).

3. Short-shifters. Allow any?

THIS is the place to discuss any changes you may have in mind.

Please keep this discussion productive by refraining from insults or trash talkin. Lets keep in mind that whatever we change effects 150 cars in NASA nationwide- so whatever it is we suggest must be readily available, not excessively expensive, and a benefit to EVERYONE- not just you.

Ready? Set. Go.

Re: 2019 Rules Thread 5 years, 5 months ago #22123

• dpRacing Dan
My initial thoughts about sleeving:
Good blocks are getting harder to find. If I can convince a manafacturer to make a spec package to replicate original style pistons and stock bores, this should help give people options of saving motors otherwise destined for the scrap heap.
Is it gonna be cheap? Probably not. BUT. I personally have had to buy several motors in a quest to find ONE good one with good bores.
The downside? Inspections are going to have to be more invasive. Nationals? Better be ready to take that head off.
Its not just about if a car can be legal on dyno- cars need to make the power the same way too.

Re: 2019 Rules Thread 5 years, 5 months ago #22124

• tcomeau
1. Sleeving: not needed. Plenty of blocks out there that are still good enough to make competitive HP/TQ. Keep it simple and standardized.

2. Wheels: Still plenty of stock wheels out there. Not time to consider using an aftermarket wheel.

3. Short shifters: Keep all the cars with the same lever throw. Stock shifters or the one from only 944.com is a good rule as is.

There's any number of dismantlers all across the country to get parts from.
Tim Comeau
SoCal 944 Spec #22 since Feb 2003.
Let's keep building it!

Re: 2019 Rules Thread 5 years, 5 months ago #22125

• dpRacing Dan
Rims: I've heard the argument "we're the only spec class that doesnt allow after market rims". The problem here is obvious- there are no aftermarket rims in factory size- atleast that I'm aware of. I worked with a reputable wheel company to produce a factory rim replacement in exactly the same weight. They're 100x better looking than our factory wheels. We even discussed price and production volume- and they can produce enough to supply everyone rims for around $700 per set.
My only real concern was that the weight cant be guaranteed to be in the same location as the original rims. I also dont want to change a rule that only a handful of people plan to take advantage of.
Just my 2 cents.

Re: 2019 Rules Thread 5 years, 5 months ago #22126

• tcomeau
Please make sure your rules changes/ clarifications are well thought out and will benefit ALL racers in terms of cost, reliability, and ease of rules enforcement. Remember, we're trying to keep the cars EQUAL. If/when someone pokes a hole in the rules or finds a loophole, we need to close it.

An interesting idea I've seen for reliabilty is to stack a small washer or two inside the early 3-piece OPRV piston to increase oil pressure to the rod bearings. Tom Dragoun, at 7's only in SoCal has been using this idea in non-944 spec cars and is getting higher pressure without blowing the oil filter seal. Almost no cost and adds reliability to a known weakness in our engines.

Tom's 944 Spec cars are using a currently legal, but radical way of increasing the caster by way of stacking plates on the stock strut tower mounts. As a result, his cars are turning in much better than others. We can't easily measure caster at the track so a max allowed caster angle would be tough to set. I think it's better to specify 1 or 2 off the shelf brands of camber/caster plates and not allow any mods to them. I think almost all guys are using Racer's Edge or Ground Control units as it is, so this rule tightening would only serve to reign in the outliers. Equal cars is the goal.

Current rule: "12.5.5 A camshaft key offset 2 degrees advanced is allowed for motors equipped with the low compression 9.5:1 pistons." Somewhere along the line this rule was changed to this wording. Problem is, a 2 degree offset cam key isn't always enough to correct the cam/valve timing to optimum at max head shaving on the low compression engines. This rule should include the 4 degree offset key, and NOT specify only advanced. I feel this new wording is self-governing because if you change timing much more, you'll lose power. The goal is to reset the cam timing to stock after shaving the head.

I'd like to see the 1989 2.7 transaxle coded ASG (open diff.) or ASH - (with LSD) allowed in 944 Spec because, according to the factory pubs, it offers a 1.5 mm thicker ring and pinion pair with no changes in gear ratios or final drive ratio from the currently legal tranny's. Nearly every tranny failure I've seen involved a broken ring and pinion. These also come standard with the short 5th gear. No advantage, just increased reliability. BTW, this larger R & P set won't fit in the earlier tranny's because the case is different.

Rule 17.1.1 "The 944 front
valance may be replaced with a fiberglass unit providing that it is an exact replica." How about a rule change to include the reproduction front spoiler in Polyurethane by KBD bodykits.com. This is what the original front spoilers were made out of. Many front spoilers are pretty torn up by this point. No advantage. Totally optional. Class cars will look more presentable for attracting that big sponsorship deal!
Tim Comeau
Let's keep building it!

Re: 2019 Rules Thread 5 years, 5 months ago #22127

• tcomeau
Dan said, "Its not just about if a car can be legal on dyno- cars need to make the power the same way too."

Totally agree. I want your engine to have the same power curve as the next guy.
Tim Comeau
Let's keep building it!
Banner
Time to create page: 0.13 seconds