Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Rule 13.3.1 "Short Shifters" are not allowed.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Rule 13.3.1 "Short Shifters" are not allowed.

Rule 13.3.1 "Short Shifters" are not allowed. 15 years, 2 months ago #3650

• hhdinyuma
  • Comp School
  • Hal Dunn
Just wondered why this rule was added this year? Here's why I wonder:

1. Missed shifts frequently equal bent valves. Big dollars to repair! We had at least 3 expensive shifts here in the last 2 years. I have personally come close twice, selecting third gear instead of fifth at 100+ MPH. Once on the first run after a 6K rebuild!

2. Shifting with a limp noodle is not much fun.

3. The only "Short Shift" kit on the market that I know of (Schell) doesn't do much more than restore the shifting feel to that approaching a stock system. The design of this kit is virtually identical to stock except stronger materials used and slightly improved geometry.

4. I have not been able to source an OEM replacement for the shifting mechanism. I also do not replace worn out original parts with other worn out original parts from a junkyard unless there is no other alternative.

5. The price for the short shift kit meets the $$$ rule for 944 spec. $99.00.

6. The only performance advantage I see is that the car is more likely to be undamaged and running at the end of a race.

These comments are strictly meant to point ouy my concern for the health of the motor. If I have another expensive repair bill it will likely put me out of racing at least for a while. I am sure I am not alone in this regard.
83 SPEC 944 #51

Re:Rule 13.3.1 "Short Shifters" are not allowed. 15 years, 2 months ago #3651

• Bottoz
  • Seasoned Racer
+1 for Rule Changes that will save money and repairs in the long run.
C.J. Botts
1984 944 #37

2007 RM HPDE Driver of the Year
2010 RM Instructor of the Year
2013 RM 944SPEC Director

Re:Rule 13.3.1 "Short Shifters" are not allowed. 15 years, 2 months ago #3652

I had the opposite experience. Last year I swapped in new (to me) trans with an LSD, unaware that the linkage in the back was a short shift setup. I found this much more notchy and hard to find the gates, resulting in several missed shifts during the heat of battle. What sloppiness remained in the system was magnified by having a tighter pattern to find. I do not know what brand it was. I realize this is my subjective experience vs. yours, but experiences vary here.

Most of the slop in the mechanism is in the shift lever pin. These are readily available on Pelican or Ebay for less than 1/2 of the short shift kit. Replacing this makes a big difference - I'd at least try that 1st.

Short shifters tend to increase syncro wear as well, so there are some potential reliability downsides as well.

Maybe we need to do some more research on what options are available for OEM replacement

A good write on this issue is here: http://www.clarks-garage.com/pdf-manual/trans-07.pdf

BTW, short shifters have never been Spec legal, it was just spelled out more clearly this year.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 15 years, 2 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re:Rule 13.3.1 "Short Shifters" are not allowed. 15 years, 2 months ago #3653

• hhdinyuma
  • Comp School
  • Hal Dunn
I figured the guys who use them might be able to shed some light on the subject so heres a copy of an E-Mail I sent to Dave Deracola of 944 Cup fame and his reply:

In a message dated 2/27/2009 1:16:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it writes:
Hi Dave,

I am a 944-spec racer here in AZ and just wondered if you could help me with a question. I am curious if any of the Cup guys have had any mechanical or other problems associated with using the short shift kit in our cars? The kit is currently prohibited by spec rules, but I believe it is allowed in Cup. Are there very many drivers using the kit and what are the pros and cons. If there are no real negatives, I am going to try and get the rule changed for us. Thanks in advance...

Hal:

Quite a few our cars are equipped with short shifters including 2 of my own cars. There has been no systemic problems we have experienced. Like with the stock shifters, on occasion after many seasons of service, a part can break, but that's not the norm. Good luck.

Dave Derecola
944 CUP
National Director
www.44cup.com
83 SPEC 944 #51

Re:Rule 13.3.1 "Short Shifters" are not allowed. 15 years, 2 months ago #3654

Hal thanks for your constructive input.

When I built my first car I thought a short shifter was legal cause it did not do anything to make the car faster. Tim and Joe pointed out to me that a short shifter could result in a competive advantage because I might be able to shift faster than a stock 944. So the short shifter was deemed a performance improvement.

www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&am...=0&sk=t&sd=a

The rules for 2009 were changed just to clarify "not allowed" the rule has always been no change unless it says you can.

Now if we as a group would like to allow all cars to have this performance improvement "short shifters" then that is a different matter. My full race 944 Turbo had a very expensive setup from lindsey it felt real tight because all rubber was removed from the system and replaced with rod ends and bushings. Not what we want in 944-spec but . A great setup.

So whats the best way to freshen up a stock shifter ?

Re:Rule 13.3.1 "Short Shifters" are not allowed. 15 years, 2 months ago #3655

• hhdinyuma
  • Comp School
  • Hal Dunn
Chuck,

Thanks for the nice comment. I hope this thread on rules changes will continue to produce constructive comments and be viewed by all as a positive thing.

Heres what I would do:

1. Everything that SterlingDoc pointed out from the Clarks garage article. I have already done most of it and it definitely helps with shifting.

2. Allow the use of the Schnell short shift kit. It's cheap, easy and quick to install, nearly stock in appearance and function, readily available, and gives no measurable increase in performance (my opinion). The manufacturer does not include faster shifting in its claim. The following is quoted from Vertex Auto's website:

Schnell manufactures the most durable short shift kit for the 944 & 944 Turbo. This kit tightens loose, sloppy shifter problems. Reduces throw by 30% over the factory setup. Simple bolt on assembly that uses your original shift knob. If you are looking for a crisp, short shift that snaps right into gear, then Schnell is the answer! Mounts easily to the Transaxle in just a few simple steps.

* 30% Reduction in Throw
* Hardened Steel for Strength
* Dual Welds at Stress Points
* Rock Solid Quality
* Amazing Shift Feeling
* 100% Satisfaction Guarantee!

I think most would agree that shifting a road race car isn't about speed (shifting) anyway. Positive, quick shifts are preferred by most.

3. So my official proposal would be: Change paragraph 13.3.1, 3rd sentence to read "The Schnell Short Shift Kit, made for the Porsche 944/924, may be substituted for the stock mechanism".
83 SPEC 944 #51
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds