Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost

Re:HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost 13 years, 7 months ago #8264

how about on your way to not allowing pit crews and corner balance you go back and read the first post in this thread. I was opening the conversation with the idea of a upper limit on engine power. I don't care who builds your engine.

It really is simple . If the rules allow it then racers or builders are going to do it. I think we need an upper limit on power or weight to even it out. "low cost equal racing" .

This will help grow the class. So with all this effort how do you want to help grow 944-spec ?

Re:HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost 13 years, 7 months ago #8265

I think RMR had the most cars at Nationals. Yes most of our field filling mid packers did not go to Nationals .

If you want to know more about that ask your local series director.

Re:HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost 13 years, 7 months ago #8266

• sagoston
  • Junior Racer
The problem is "low cost equal racing". The "low cost" part of it is completely subjective and is why we seem to be having these debates. Most of the group seems content with paying for a $3000-$4000 motor which lasts a few seasons and will remain competitive. If there really are gray areas which allow interpretation when building motors, address them. This will prevent the "arms race" which is what some are rightfully concerned about. I don't know if just reading into it but it also seems like some want a ruleset change to allow them to be competitive with tired motors. I have a somewhat tired motor (160+ hours) which I know is a little down on power. I do NOT expect or accept any rule changes trying to create a level playing field for fresh vs tired motors.

I think RMR had the most cars at Nationals. Yes most of our field filling mid packers did not go to Nationals .

If you want to know more about that ask your local series director.

REALLY?!?!? How can this sort of behavior contribute to growing the class? Unacceptable.

Re:HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost 13 years, 7 months ago #8267

SvoChuck wrote:
how about on your way to not allowing pit crews and corner balance you go back and read the first post in this thread. I was opening the conversation with the idea of a upper limit on engine power. I don't care who builds your engine.

My point about corner balance was that there are always those that have the means to spend money in order to gain a perceived advantage and I don't think you can eliminate that with any rules. I guess my point wasn't clear.

I raced in the Cup series before moving to CA and joining the Spec series. There was constant bickering about engine power and who was cheating etc.

IT IS NO FUN AND WE ARE HERE TO HAVE FUN, RIGHT? IS ANYONE MAKING MONEY DOING THIS?

Look at SuperCup now. It went from substantial fields to 2-3 cars today because of the perception that certain turbos made WAY more power (incidentally I agreed from what I saw). Those same cars always dynoed below the limits set by the series and the tech inspectors never found a violation.

My point in the above is that I think power limits are a bad idea because they don't fix anything. With enough resources, you can cheat the dyno by various means. Even if the winners don't cheat, you will still have people who got beat and will claim that the winners cheated no matter how much you prove otherwise.

I love Norcal Spec racing. I have not heard a single peep about cheating or engine power the whole season and it has been a blast. Every experience I've had suggests that power is about equal (I only know of one car dynoed and it made around 134 HP IIRC).

I was under the impression that 944 Spec was like that everywhere but I guess I live in a fantasy world.

In summary, if I get a vote, I vote to keep rules the way they are and continue to have FUN racing with a great group.

Re:HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost 13 years, 7 months ago #8269

• Bottoz
  • Seasoned Racer
sagoston wrote:
REALLY?!?!? How can this sort of behavior contribute to growing the class? Unacceptable.

Link.

Sharing is caring.
C.J. Botts
1984 944 #37

2007 RM HPDE Driver of the Year
2010 RM Instructor of the Year
2013 RM 944SPEC Director

Re:HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost 13 years, 7 months ago #8270

No issues out here in the Midwest, either. My guys are having their biggest, most fun season we've had yet. We had one guy who thought his motor was getting tired. We had one of our hot shoes take his car out, and went 2 sec a lap faster. The first guy looked at the TM data from the fast guy IN HIS CAR, and went 1 second faster later that weekend. Everyone went home happy...

The guys that have responded to my email queries about this don't want new rules. Some of them have also posted here. This is why I'm vocal on this issue. Maybe it is a regional issue...
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds