Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost

Re:HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost 13 years, 7 months ago #8271

• sagoston
  • Junior Racer
Link.

Sharing is caring.

Thanks for that link. I do recall that thread and think it is related but there is apparently a much larger issue, allegedly. If we're going to discuss this "issue" openly on a forum, it should not be in "HP limit ..." thread.

Doc, no issues here in SoCal either. We're finally getting back into double digit entries and having a great time too. It would seem this is a RM regional issue. Maybe Dirks should stop building his motors so well

Re:HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost 13 years, 7 months ago #8273

• JRichard
  • Senior Racer
Wow, where was I while all this was going on?... oh that's right, mid pack that's where!...

I think I am about as typical of a spec guy as you can get, I'm doing this for fun, i have no delusions of grandur in being number one, there's alot of other things I could (and will) do with my money if it turns into an arms race and squabble. There are plenty of ways to cheat if you're that kind of person, but it's not like you're going to make any money trying so I would think it would be a pretty hollow victory....

My motor dyno'ed at 127 three seasons ago and it was really tired at miller, but still had me mid pack, yea I'd like to of had the ponies to run with the upper percentile but it just means a freshening and some better driving. If this gets to be a arms race and no fun I have two other race cars that are a hell of a lot more fun to run so let's not screw this up. But I was just about to buy a motor to get started on a rebuild but I need to know asap if all of a sudden an 88 isn't legal, nothing screws people worse than shifting rules...

To me it's pretty simple. List the acceptable engines for parody, list the mods that are allowed and that's it. We all know the speed tricks spell them all out and list whats legal or not, cheat the rules and we get to crush your car LeMonds style...Either put a puffer to check for static compression, a good measure of the potential power of a motor, or flat out dyno the top five cars...all things that are currently being done. Make sure everyone runs 87 octane fuel that will eliminate high compression motors, the regular NA will run on it all day long and it will just require a fuel sample port that many cars have already... The other option is success ballast. You carry ten or twenty pounds extra for the race after you win, AMLS style...

I don't want to lose all the fun and be spec miata...

Re:HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost 13 years, 7 months ago #8274

One thing is for sure in these threads and is a topic you all agree on....

you hate Spec Miata

****For those sensitive people, the above is sarcasm. I understand that you don't "hate" Spec Miata and just don't want 944 Spec rules to go out of control.

Re:HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost 13 years, 7 months ago #8275

• Chris
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Schmores
I dont know why people keep posting saying that people are accusing others of cheating etc, no one has said that. all that is being proposed is a possible way of making the class closer and cheaper... that's it.

NASA Rocky Mountain Region
#2 blue/ yellow 1985.5 944 (sold)
new car- 2006 late model howe chassis road race stock car.

HPDE 3 Group Leader

Re:HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost 13 years, 7 months ago #8278

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
I don't believe that anyone is saying that there is cheating going on.

There is no doubt that there are engines being built to the maximum of the current rule set. I am having a hard time believing that no one thought this would happen. It is a very normal process in racing.

When I started racing SM in the early days a fast car was 106-108 RWHP. Now that is 122-124 RWHP. It took a few years to figure out how to do it but it is a done deal. The advantage Miata had for this was that there are lots of new parts available and lots of intelligent guys working on it because it became so popular so fast.

Our National car count is way less than Spec Miata. They most likely have at least 10 times the car count of 944. I am talking about all race organizations not just NASA.
This is a huge advantage to us since it will keep the pace of developement at a slower rate. Make no mistake it will happen. It is the normal process.

Everything about making these engines faster is already a known quantity. We as a group are slowly creeping towards the maximum HP for our stock engines.

Making the 88 pistons illegal will most likely remove many racers from 944. I don't know how many have the 88 piston but my guess is that 20% + do.

A REWARDS WEIGHT system is a better option. Just have to figure out how to make that work at Nationals.

here is the system in use with SCCA PRO World Challenge.
Rewarding of Equalizing Weight Assigned to Reduce Driver Sensitivity, commonly referred to as “REWARDS Weight,” is a weight equalization system based on the addition and subtraction of ballast weight based on the finishing position of individual drivers in the previous race(s). The goal of the REWARDS System is to provide close on-track competition between a diverse variety of cars in the top third of the field. REWARDS System weight adjustments are in effect for the next race in which a driver competes in the same class.

This system allows car/driver combinations not currently affected by the REWARDS System to remove 25 lbs from their vehicle’s Appendix A base weight, to a maximum of -100 lbs, if they finish outside of the top 50 percent of finishing positions. Weight is added back on in 25 lb. increments each time they finish in the top 40 percent of finishing positions until they reach their vehicle’s Appendix A base weight. If a car/driver combination finishes in a top five position, it will move out of the Team Compensation program and into the REWARDS System for the next race. The purpose of the Team Compensation Weight is to provide close on-track competition between a diverse variety of cars and drivers in the lower half of the field.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re:HP limit / power to weight / pro built /low cost 13 years, 7 months ago #8279

944 Cup also used rewards weight.

I have no problem with rewards weight. It is cheap and easy. It may require more work in corner balance etc. if you start getting 100 LBS in the car.

In Cup, it never made a difference. The same guys won with or without the extra weight.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds