Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Breaking it down at the Chicken Shack
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
944Spec Southeast Region Newsletter Sign Up!

madmimi.com/signups/334153/join

NASA Southeast Website

nasa-se.com/

Region Sponsored by Appalachian Race Tire.

www.racetire.com/
  • Page:

TOPIC: Breaking it down at the Chicken Shack

Breaking it down at the Chicken Shack 11 years, 11 months ago #13275

If you are on the fence and trying to determine which direction you want to go in racing, think about 944 spec. I have been hanging around the guys, going to the build parties. It is the most fun you can have without losing your wife.
I decided to make take the plunge and have a 1984 Porsche 944 that I am currently building. I was needing a parts car. Pantas found one which I picked up last week. This past weekend, Brian and Michael (944 Director) arranged a part-down at the chicken shack in Cumming, Ga. Within one day we parted down a 84 944, removing anything that could be used as spares for racing.
Michael and I arrived with the parts car Saturday morning and by the end of the day it was a shell ready to haul off to the scrap yard. No injuries to report, except for Jason hitting himself in the head with the cherry picker.
At the end of the day, we went to dinner and after a round of magaritas, headed over to Andretti's. It is a local go-cart track. It was a blast seeing those bright eyed cocky kids get plowed into the wall. While they have the benefit of less weight, nothing escapes a middle-aged bald guy with attitude. It was our way to share life's lessons with the youth of today.
It is more than just working on cars, it is an event. I want to thank the guys, Micheal, Jason, Brian, RJ and Dick for a great weekend.Special thanks to the Duffman for hooking us at Andrettis.

BigTater.jpg
#4 86 944
Fast Tater Motorsports
Last Edit: 11 years, 11 months ago by FastTater.

Re: Breaking it down at the Chicken Shack 11 years, 11 months ago #13277

I'm green with 944 envy! It's tough to get a bunch of wrenches together for a tear-down or a build. I live in the country, have a 30x60 machine shed with a BenPak lift, still, I work on this stuff alone. The closest racer, in the Midwest region, is 45 miles away, most are 90 miles away. Currently, I'm building a track-only 924 Turbo, but have an '88 924S in the shed, under cover, waiting for a Spec build. Probably next summer. Dave

Re: Breaking it down at the Chicken Shack 11 years, 11 months ago #13278

I envy your shop. I am building my 944 out of my home garage. Lift - I have to stand it on its tail to drop the motor.

90 miles? The Chicken Shack is in Cumming, Ga. Michael (the SE director of 944) and myself live in Columbia, SC which is 3 hours away. It is not a trip I would want to make a lot. We try to schedule only one event a month, but it is worth the travel. Michael does not need any help on his car (he is our regional guru for all things 944) and my build is being done out of my garage. However, we make the trip to have good times, work on the cars and hang out with the group to grow 944 in our region.

I would suggest setting up a build party for your shop.Contact your area director. You would be surpised what you can draw to your shed with free beer.
#4 86 944
Fast Tater Motorsports
Last Edit: 11 years, 11 months ago by FastTater.

Re: Breaking it down at the Chicken Shack 11 years, 11 months ago #13279

I stand corrected! I have a six foot tall beer cooler in the shed, so the beer part is pretty easy! Actually, we have a wood-fired brick oven pizza restaurant on our property in Wisconsin. Work 4.5 months, play 5.5 months, in Arizona.

www.nelsonstonebarn.com is the place to be! Farm living is the...

Re: Breaking it down at the Chicken Shack 11 years, 10 months ago #13310

Restaurant looks great!

You might be surprised who might come out of the woodwork to help you build if you throw in pizza with beer
NASA Southeast
944-Spec

Re: Breaking it down at the Chicken Shack 11 years, 10 months ago #13318

Thanks, it's a lot of work, but it is incredibly popular in the summer. My budget for the Spec car is zero at the moment. I have two 924 turbos to get back on the road, one a track toy, and the other entirely stock. The latter is getting it's engine rebuilt, I'm done putting the new shiny parts together, waiting on the expensive throw-out bearing to arrive. Then I have to sell it. Sell stuff, buy parts, wife's rules~!
  • Page:
Moderators: AgRacer
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds