Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Road Atlanta Report
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
944Spec Southeast Region Newsletter Sign Up!

madmimi.com/signups/334153/join

NASA Southeast Website

nasa-se.com/

Region Sponsored by Appalachian Race Tire.

www.racetire.com/
  • Page:

TOPIC: Road Atlanta Report

Road Atlanta Report 11 years, 9 months ago #13524

What a weekend!

Saturday started out rainy- no doubt caused by Duff and I finally removing the glass from our windows (and not bringing any car covers).

The rain had passed over us by lunch and Saturday afternoon's excitement was RJ finding 4 seconds/lap and getting to within 7/10ths of Mike's best lap .

Sunday gave Duff a chance to test his new car out- it ran great and Jason's car was also flawless. That afternoon I had the opportunity to get some additional instruction from a 944 veteran- Victor Kelley (vpk944). Victor rode with me 2 sessions and I rode as a passenger for 1. It is a great learning/humbling experience to have some drive YOUR car faster and smoother than you can- no faster way to decrease your lap times, either.

Sunday's race was decided on the last lap- RJ passed Mike after he spun in 3, then Mike took the lead back -briefly- with a banzai move in 6. An S2000 following them has a great video of it- fast forward to 23:35:

Barry and Greg weren't driving this weekend but stopped by.

We also met a new racer who has his sights set on 944-Spec: Charlie Smith. Charlie is in the process of turning the 944 street car he brought back from the dead into a Spec racer- as a professional Porsche mechanic it should be a breeze!

We've got a bit of a hiatus until our next event in October at the brand-new Atlanta Motorsports Park.

Can't wait!
NASA Southeast
944-Spec
Last Edit: 11 years, 9 months ago by Brian Evans.

Re: Road Atlanta Report 11 years, 9 months ago #13525

Wow - nice photo of the rain Brian! I didn't realize it rained that hard before I showed up (I was 15 mins. south and no rain there). Great video of Mike's u-turn at 6 - wish we could've seen the part where he punches it in first gear and continues on!

it was good to meet Charlie as well - another new comer with a car that needs to be prepped... didn't realize he is a Porsche mechanic. We'll need to invite him to the next workday for sure.

Thanks again to Jason for the DME for my car... I'm off to get it aligned and then start working the other items in preparation for December at Road Atlanta.

Re: Road Atlanta Report 11 years, 9 months ago #13526

• S2k4j
  • Junior Racer
Brian- you missed an important part of the weekend summary. The quality control test you performed in turn 7.

Re: Road Atlanta Report 11 years, 9 months ago #13527

S2k4j wrote:
Brian- you missed an important part of the weekend summary. The quality control test you performed in turn 7.

Ummmmm...I can report that if you catch air when you overshoot 7 and go off track left your car will be fine. About 20 pounds heavier with all the red clay that is stuck to it, but fine.

Appreciated the wave as you passed, though
NASA Southeast
944-Spec
Last Edit: 11 years, 9 months ago by Brian Evans.

Re: Road Atlanta Report 11 years, 8 months ago #13529

The weekend was a blast. The race on Sunday was some of the best fun I've had on track. PERIOD. Great race R.J.

Thanks to all the guys for being on and at the track.

944 SPEC IN THE S.E. IS TAKING OFF
Michael Dearstyne
NASA-SE 944Spec "Commander" Retired
2012 NASA-SE 944Spec Champion
2013 NASA-SE 944Spec Champion

Re: Road Atlanta Report 11 years, 8 months ago #13531

The thunder dumper on Saturday was like timed to kill our practice and qualifying sessions as it hung around only the immediate RA area, but we got a good race in Saturday afternoon - my best lap time in the 944spec car. Sunday was awesome - on the last lap of the race, Mike came in behind me from his spin off turn 3 and passed me on the 5-6 straight. Then he forgot to quit turning after 6 (Mike knows so much, he forgot what I know) so I got to pass again on the short 6-7 straight and had enough gap this time to finish the last 1/2 lap of the race without getting caught !

to cap it all off; Rafael Torres was following in perfect position in his #777 to get the video of the whole sequence - see that on youtube

Look for another great race at AMP in October !

RJ #7 ChickenShackRacing
  • Page:
Moderators: AgRacer
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds